5.29.2011

entrée into a brand new virtual world…

         I’m finally starting the blog that has been a persistent, if not necessarily constant, idea in my mind for the last many months. As this is my first foray into the blogging world, I’ve been contemplating the best place to start my story and hopefully spark a mutually satisfying conversation with those of you who come to read it. Where to begin this momentous step out into the collective psyche and potential criticism of the world at large? Well, though certainly far from earth-shattering in concept, the point that I keep coming back to is simply this: why? Why write a blog? Why send my sometimes hyper-sensitive, sometimes deeply personal and private, sometimes shame-inducing thoughts out into a realm of public inspection?

         It’s simple, really. I want to help people. I want to help others and, in so doing, to help myself as well.

         I’ve thought about the areas that I’d like to ruminate on, and thus far they stand at these four basic categories:

1. food – what can I say, we dietitians love to dish about the nosh. What’s good, what’s bad, what’s hot, what’s fad… I hope to throw a lot of information out there in a user-friendly and easily digestible manner, to share (and hopefully receive) healthy and interestingly delicious recipes, and to clear up some of the rampant nutrition misinformation that seems to circulate so successfully these days. (My title, after all, is inspired by the epidemic of obesity in both my family, myself included, and our country, and the desire to facilitate change in my life and others’ lives in the pursuit of health.)

2. fitness – a subject that I am keen to further explore. I can see this being one of the areas in which I gain a lot from conversing with others.

3. faith – it’s the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. I think sharing faith helps to grow faith, to dispel misconceptions, clarify misunderstandings, and to encourage one another.

4. femininity – avoiding the pitfall of being my own worst enemy by talking about expectations, both realistic and unrealistic, from faith, family, community, society, and anyone or anything else that makes a comment on what we should or shouldn’t do or be.

         I would love to know what any of you think about any of the things I’ve just lobbed out there. Drop me a line if you have a chance, and have a blessed week!

Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment